The objective of CLEANED R is by combining open access GIS data with participatory modeling to develop a quick and but “good enough” context specific environmental impact assessment simulation tool to explore consequences of possible livestock value chain transformations in the developing world.
What is Cleaned R Tool ?
It’s an ex-ante spatially explicit environmental simulation tool, computing :
- Land pressure, land use change and overall production
- Water use for livestock
- Greenhouse gas emissions (IPCC tier 2)
- Biodiversity change
- Nitrogen soil balance Based on user input of number of livestock, alive weight, productivity and feed basket for each category of livestock
Type of solution
It’s a web based tool proposing 2 different versions: the simplied one and the expert user version.
CLEANED R Tool is for quite advancede users though final beneficiaries are stakeholders along the livestock value chain (farmers, pastoralists, community leaders, veterinary, extension agent, government people …)
What does CLEANED R tool do ? how does it help ?
- Identify trade-offs and synergies in livestock value chains
- Mediate existing conflict
- Develop an inclusive and sustainable shared vision of the future
- In Ethiopia: national, local government and local community members came to understand each others differing priorities and, as a result, negotiated better scenarios.
- In Burkina Faso : conflicting parties (pastoralist vs crop farmers) accepted to listen to each other and found an acceptable way to cohabitate.
- In Tanzania : a community started thinking beyond individuals, understanding that they benefit from a joint service demand for feed and veterinary services that will reduce their costs.